4.6.09

Third Eye Blind 5.31.09 - First Avenue Main Room, Minneapolis

"I'm actually a very shy person, but tonight I'm going to come out of my shell with you." - Stephan Jenkins



------------------------
My most memorable concerts of the past 18 months were:

Sia in February 2008 - Fine Line Minneapolis, 1) because she kicks ass and 2) because she kept talking about her "food poisoning" from Taco Bell and left the stage twice to go diarhea in the public restroom. Needless to say (but I'm gonna say it anyway), the only encore was the one she performed in the John.

Sigur Ros in September 2008 - Orpheum Minneapolis, 1) because they kick ass and 2) because they kick so much ass I had a religious experience and had to go immediately home after the concert to cry. It was the most beautiful and disturbing performance I have ever encountered. And if you call me emo, I'll punch you in the ear.

Manchester Orchestra in March 2009 - The Belmont Austin, TX, 1) because they kick ass and 2) because it was outdoors at SXSW and every experience was heightened there simply because I was sweating in 90-degree temps while my family and friends were building igloos in the Midwest.

And now...we can add...THIRD EYE BLIND to the list, because 1) they kick ass and 2) because I was so happy that they were not washed up and old and that the show did not seem like a "comeback." Don't get me wrong, they definitely played the old hits "Jumper, "Semi-Charmed Life" and "Crystal Baller," to name a few. And the crowd went bats. We sang along at the top of our lungs like it was middle school again, and it was beautiful. And they played new songs, unapologetically. And why should they apologize? Any band that can pack a room six years after their last full-length album at $30 a pop ($42 for us idiots who went through Ticketmaster) is a legitimate band in my book. People have been pissing their pants in anticipation of the Third Eye Blind rennaisance, only to find out...they never really needed a rebirth because they never really stopped being so damn good.

The double encore, "Slow Motion" then "God of Wine," sealed the deal. Third Eye Blind has not and will not join the ranks of mid-late-90s bands that fell by the wayside. Until Stephan Jenkins is hosting "Extra" or "Pussycat Dolls Present: The Search for the Next Doll" [ahem, Mark McGrath], I don't think we need to worry about 3eb's contribution to society. Third Eye Blind's first three full-length albums contain more lyrical poetry and genius than all of the 90s combined. You can quote that.


-----------
AN OPEN LETTER TO STEPHAN JENKINS,
lead singer/songwriter/guitarist/genius THIRD EYE BLIND



Dear Stephan Jenkins,

Will you marry me? Cool. Thanks. I'll let you plan it.

At First Avenue you wore a T-shirt that said "Younger Than Jesus," but you can't fool a Culture Vulture. I know you're 44. I see your cape/dress, top hat, painted toenails. You cut a number 3 out of red satin and glued it to your acoustic guitar. You're charming. Well, semi-charming. You give off such a flamboyant vibe that even Perez is confused about your sexuality, but I don't care. It's a 70s kind of feminine, not a Ru Paul kind. You are sexy, and you sing so sexy, and I would have a million of your babies...if only you would PUT OUT A NEW ALBUM.

The Red Star EP you released back in November was delicious. But we crave more Third Eye Blind. It's been six years, Stevie. SIX YEARS. I can smell it brewing, and hear it's going to be released this September, followed by Ursa Minor which will include the tracks that don't make the first cut. FANTASTIC. I only hope these new releases are as tasty as guitarist Tony Fredianelli makes them sound, "Both of these records to me are very strong, especially the first one, because we really bled for them."

Mmm...Third Eye Blood.

Well, I'll just be hanging out til this Fall, and you're probably busy anyway. But it's OK. I'll just keep fantasizing about you on a motorcycle drive by.

I've never been so alone, and I've never been so alive.

Hugs,
Culture Vulture

No comments:

Post a Comment